HAPPY NEW YEAR! Yes I know it’s already the middle of January but it is still January at least. And what better time to finally get moving with my Langauge Coaching website and blog. January may be a cold, sober, no party kind of month but there is something special about the start of a new year. Hopes and plans for the upcoming year all still seem possible. I always get excited when I buy myself a new diary (just can’t get used to digital ones) and look at the pages of the year ahead, waiting to be filled with something new.
Now I know a lot of people roll their eyes when they hear the words “New Year’s Resolutions” but I’m not afraid to out myself as a resolution nerd. I LOVE looking ahead, fixing targets and making lists (just ask my husband). It sets me off in the right direction and gives me hope. So, let me share with you my rather random list of plans for this year:
- Continue learning Japanese and finally do a JLPT proficiency certificate
- Practice my guitar more and buy myself an electric guitar (so even if I don’t sound cool, I might at least look cool)
- Knit a pullover for my dog Polo (the price of dog pullovers is shocking; can they really be so hard to make?)
- Learn how to knit
- Lose 10 kilos (she writes while finishing off a packet of Lindt chocolate Christmas tree decorations)
- Bake an anti-gravity cake, a mirror cake and generally work on my cake decorating skills (not sure how this target fits with number 5)
- Start learning Italian. Always said I didn’t like the sound of Italian but recently fell in love with a cute cooking show called Molto Bene. Benedetta is my new role-model. I want to sound like her and cook like her and dress like her and eat like her but still stay thin and…..You get the picture.
- Make fantastic meals with zero effort and healthy ingredients in my new slow cooker (hopefully Benedetta will approve)
- Finally write a book proposal and get my book (which I’ve been planning for a while) published.
Phew! Why not make 10 resolutions? Well, who said lists always have to have even numbers. My list, my rules.
So how on earth am I going to reach any of these targets? Where do I begin? Make a plan, write a list, fix a timetable, make a list, tell someone about my plans, make a list (did I mention I love lists!) There are lots of ways to make your goals reality so if you are feeling inspired, be sure to check out my next blog post about how to reach your goals and make smart resolutions.
I know that some people believe it’s not good to make resolutions. That by setting ourselves targets we are setting ourselves up to fail and feel disappointed. But does anyone really go through life aimlessly without any kind of hopes or expectations? Everyone has some type of goal, no matter how small. But a goal without a plan is just a wish.
So, what are your goals? Please share in the comments below and let’s motivate each other and do a bit of cheerleading. If like me, one of your goals is to improve your language skills, then check out my special opening deal. I’m offering a 5% discount off the normal price of any of my packages (e.g. 10-lesson bonus card, Job Application Package) if you purchase them before the 16th of February. They are then valid for 1 year. So, if this is the year you plan to really improve your English or maybe look for a new job, take the first step and book a course now. And remember I also offer life coaching for any other goals you might need help with. Come on 2018, we’re ready to go!